Is Your Business Safe from a Godzilla Attack?

Posted by Centre on April 16, 2014

Data Disasters have Risen 400% in 60 Years

Between cyber criminals, natural disasters, and impending attacks from gargantuan sea monsters, a business without a disaster recovery plan has a 93% chance of going out of business in 5 years.

No business is immune to the threat of Godzilla or other disasters, natural or technical. Only 35% of businesses have a data recovery plan, leaving the other 65% vulnerable to kaiju-sized downtime losses of about $84,000 to $90,000 per hour.

How can a company continue to work if atomic breath incinerates their local server, taking their client and business data with it? How can a company without a business continuity plan implement an alternate workflow, or continue to operate at all when dealing with a yearly average loss of $366,363.00? How can a business properly evacuate from ground zero without protecting its data and critical client information?

The hard truth is that no company is as invulnerable as the King of Monsters, nor does it have to be. IT disaster recovery solutions offer services that create risk assessments, business contingency plans, and business continuity plans that are flexible and tailored to the needs of the business.

Disaster Recovery: Godzilla can’t break your data if he can’t reach it

The future of data back-up and recovery is in cloud technology. To this day, even Godzilla cannot reach the clouds, real or digital. Cloud technology is an umbrella term for data that is accessed and stored in a server that is not physically located in the vicinity of the user. In other words, if your business is physically in ground zero of the monster’s attack, your data is stored safely in a server far, far away.

Cloud-based disaster recovery offers several advantages:

  • Faster application recovery time
  • Flexibility for failover and datacenter recovery
  • Ability to frequently and flexibly test recovery plan exercising
  • Potential to reduce the cost of exercising a recovery plan
  • Reduced recovery risk due to oversubscribed resource limitations after a disaster event

Cloud services can externally host a business’s applications, data, or both. Keep them out of a radioactive monster’s warpath with one of three data recovery service options.

Disaster Recovery Option 1: Backup-As-A-Service (BaaS)

If a business can afford a 24-48 hour downtime, they can store 100% of their critical data to an off-site backup datacenter. The business’s data is routinely backed up and secured in the IT company’s cloud and can be recovered in the event of a disaster within a pre-determined window.

Disaster Recovery Option 2: To-Cloud Recovery-As-A-Service (RAAS)

In addition to BaaS, this option stores 50% a business’s previously in-house applications remotely in a second data center away from the monster’s crushing stride. After a disaster hits, all information up to the Recovery Point Objective can be restored with a Recovery Time Objective of 4 hours.

Disaster Recovery Option 3: In-Cloud Recovery-As-A-Service (RAAS)

A business may already host its applications in a public cloud on a local server. If that server is also destroyed in the wake of the concurrent tidal wave, businesses can protect themselves by replicating and hosting their applications on a second server in a different regional location. This option secures 100% of a business’s processing environment and critical information to the cloud.

When securing their applications and data, a business should trust the protection a preemptive data recovery plan, as opposed to trusting the fairly predictable “protection” of a frontal nuclear assault. With 21% growth in spending on RAAS services by 2017, the business havoc caused by Godzilla, or otherwise, may be less than a disaster, and more of an interruption.

Free Technology Risk Assessment with Centre Technologies

Your business may have not be under the eminent threat of a monster, but all businesses can benefit from BAAS and RAAS data recovery solution options. For more information on which option is right for your business, contact the certified consultants at Centre Technologies in Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, or Austin for a free assessment of your technology infrastructure.

Did this article answer your questions about Disaster Recovery Plan options? If not, please post your questions below, and we will get you the answers you’re searching for!

infographics

 

 

Topics: business continuity, business continuity plan, disaster recovery, disaster recovery plan, godzilla, News, Latest In Technology, Featured

Subscribe to Email Updates

Categories

See all