Ransomware Outbreak Alert
"Wanna Cry" Outbreak Alert
We are continuing to follow news reports of the Wanna Cry virus (ransomware strain) that has lodged over 200,000 attacks in at least 150 countries.
We are strongly encouraging our valued partners to remind users that email attachments and website drive-by infections continue to be the most likely attack vector for Ransomware events.
End-user education and vigilance are essential to limiting your risk of infection.
As a reminder, here are a few tips to avoid a Ransomware event:
- Do not open email attachments that you did not expect to receive
- Do not click on links in email attachments
- Do not visit non-business related websites from work devices
Ransomware is a type of malware that restricts access to your computer or your files and displays a message that demands payment in order for the restriction to be removed. Attackers often use email to spread ransomware and also phish for your personal information (e.g. your passwords).These attackers are also infecting websites and generating pop-up advertisements in order to gain access to your machine and data.
How can you help prevent ransomware infections?
If you weren’t expecting an email – especially if it tries to convince you to open an attachment or click on a link, be very cautious.
Data Protection Best Practices
- If it looks suspicious...
- Don't CLICK it
- Don't OPEN it
- Don't ALLOW ACCESS
- Maintain a strong password policy
- Keep business networks secure
- Anti-Virus installed on all machines
- Anti-Spam solution implemented and utilized
- Maintain regular backups
- Save key data to shares, not locally
- Update your Operating Systems regularly
Centre Technologies offers an enhanced security suite of products and services in order to better protect both you and your business data against the threat of cyber-attacks. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, comments, or concerns.